My sister possesses a green thumb. I’m not sure what I possess. My thumbs are pretty average. They’re a bit weathered, along with with rest of my hand and the nails are long bitten down. Eliza lives in Vermont where she grows blueberries around her old red barn. Barns conjure such emotion and romanticism for me. They’re always on the verge of falling down, collapsing, burning up and yet, they’re a source of great sustenance.
I bring up green thumbs because I’ve planted a few herbs in front of my kitchen window. I know this is a small start. So far Ollie’s catnip is the only thing sprouting. As I’m writing this, he’s asleep next to my computer. Perhaps he’s dreaming about open, sun drenched fields of catnip: the cat’s poppy.
Last night I made a really delicious trout. I usually switch between cod and salmon for my weekly fish so it was nice to have a little change. I gently sautéed it with butter, white wine, fresh dill and goat cheese. I layered yellow squash over the fish and served it with a baby arugula salad. It was kind of divine.
- 1 Pound Fresh Trout (Union Market sells organic farm raised trout that I find very flavorful).
- 2 Medium Sized Yellow Squash, thinly sliced length wise.
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 Bunch Fresh Dill
- 1 Garlic Clove
- Crumbled Goat Cheese
- In a medium-large size pan, melt butter, olive oil and sliced garlic clove.
- Add yellow squash, season with salt and pepper and cook until soft.
- Coat the squash with dill.
- Salt, pepper, and brush olive oil over fish.
- Place fish over yellow squash in pan. Drizzle more olive oil over fish, squeeze half a lemon and add white wine to the bottom of the pan.
- Use a fork to gently arrange the yellow squash OVER the fish. You want the squash to lay over the fish length wise.
- Crumble goat cheese over the yellow squash and fish.
- Cover and cook over a low heat. 5-6 minutes. Do not overcook the fish. I like my fish somewhat rare in the middle but adjust to what you’re comfortable with.
- Cut the fish in the pan in 2-3 pieces. Be careful to keep the yellow squash layered over the fish.
- Serve with a baby arugula salad, crusty baguette and glass or two of white wine.