Did Ulysses S. Grant just turn over in his grave? Because Washington’s temperature hit 102. We last tied that temperature in 1874! Where my white flags at?
Brooklyn was equally sweltering so I decided to camp indoors. I thought of the A/C as a humming-bird swooping in and out of the room. I only left the camp once (hid behind produce, avoided bears but grabbed beers and then ran for cool shelter under my canopy bed). When I got home, I made a light but satisfying lunch. When it’s that hot, the only thing to eat is salad, bruschetta & caprese. Maybe some blackberries too.
Baby Arugula Salad with tuna, artichoke hearts, cherry tomatoes & olives
- 3 large handfuls of baby arugula
- 1 drained jar artichoke hearts
- 1 drained albacore tuna in water
- 7-8 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half-length wise
- handful of pitted olives, sliced in half
- For Dressing: 1/4 cup olive oil, red wine vinegar & 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard.
- Combine all ingredients & dress with whisked vinaigrette. Do not eat the bowl.