Camping with a canine is surprisingly difficult. We headed to Harriman Park but couldn’t leave the parking lot. We watched as couples strode past us with beautiful canoes. I thought of putting a bonnet on Zeke and cradling him like a baby. I wanted to weld 62 pounds of sheer will. Alas, we were pushed out. No pets! No pets! There were many signs staked in the ground. We thought of the tattle tales and the park rangers that drove around in patrol cars. I didn’t want to be surrounded and told to drop the bug spray.
So, we left. Little did we know we were heading for a privately run, commercial camping ground. We went from this –
Basically it was an oversized parking lot with patches of grass and water pipes. The cabins had television. There was a movie blaring AC/DC on the lawn. A sign warned us not to swim in the lake. No matter. My tent shuttered that world out. What did I make for dinner?
Shrimp, Mango & Avocado Salad, of course
(because pork & beans is so last century)
- 3/4 pound uncooked shrimp (shelled)
- 2 avocados
- 2 large mangos
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 small jalapeno, diced with the seeds removed
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- any lettuce, although I like romaine for its crunch.
- Saute shrimp in butter and white wine. Salt and pepper. Remember that shrimp cooks very quickly so once they flush, drain and cool them.
- Combine cut avocado and mango. Add shrimp. Toss with cilantro.
- For the dressing combine and whisk: canola oil, diced jalapeno, the juice of 1 lime, 1 tablespoon sugar and a pinch of salt. Adjust to taste.
- Pour dressing over and serve over lettuce.
- And finally, you must drink this with a sweet white wine!
The salad was very easy to put together in the tent. I packed a small cutting board and paring knife. It was delicious with chilled white wine, a baguette and cheese. The next morning though, we high tailed out of there and went hiking for a few hours.
We were triumphant.